December 5, 2013
There are now Android apps available that add real value to any ELT classroom, from pronunciation apps to dictionaries , game-based vocabulary apps , Graded Readers , and last but not least, complete coursebooks and Readers as e-books via the Oxord Learner’s Bookshelf app. See all of Oxford’s ELT apps and e-books here.
Many of these offer a distinct edge over paper-based options by virtue of their interactivity, and in particular their use of video and audio.
But which device do you buy? Thi
, Android Tablet
November 29, 2013
Here’s your chance to score an exclusive Rosetta Stone® deal – and share it with your Twitter followers!
How it works:
• Then, check back at 11am EST on Saturday, November 30th, to learn how to unlock our special Cyber Monday Best Deal Ever!
November 25, 2013
Common Core Mathematics is the most comprehensive Common Core State Standardsbased mathematics curriculum available today.
- The modules are sequenced and paced to support the teaching of mathematics as an unfolding story that follows the logic of mathematics itself.
- They embody the instructional shifts and the standards for mathematical practice that are fundamental to the CCSS.
- Each module contains a sequence of les sons that combine conceptual understanding, fluency, and application to meet the demands of each topic in the module.
- Formative assessments are included to support datadriven instruction.
- The modules are written by teams of master teachers and mathematicians.
With Common Core Mathematics, second graders learn about (1) extending understanding of baseten notation; (2) building fluency with addition and subtraction; (3) using standard units of measure; and (4) describing and analyzing shapes.
Tags: Common Core
, Common Core Mathematics
, Core Mathematics
November 21, 2013
My co-author, Frances Bronet, Dean of the School of Architecture and Allied Arts at University of Oregon, recently emailed me to tell me that some movie theaters in Sweden had adopted a rating system for films based on gender bias.
Joe Berkowitz, author of a blog post on the website Co-Create, explains that it is an application of a test for gender bias developed by illustrator Alison Bechdel in 1985, that has been adopted, with the support of the state-funded Swedish Film Institute by four cinemas and one TV station in Sweden.
If a film passes the Bechdel Test, it gets an A rating. Qualifying films must a.) have at least two women with names, who b.) talk to each other and c.) talk about something other than a man.
Tags: Rating System
November 13, 2013
Over the years we have hugely valued the many trips we’ve made to schools round the world, meeting up with teachers and students, and learning of their experiences and needs. Their stories your stories have influenced our writing. Nothing has given John and me greater satisfaction than teachers telling us how they felt that their students have made real progress using Headway.
As Headway became increasingly successful, we wanted to give something back to the ELT community to show our appreciation of all those students and teachers who were our inspiration and motivation. We decided to create the Headway Scholarship, sponsoring two students and two teachers from a country where Headway is widely used, to come to study in Oxford for a fortnight in the summer. W